Wednesday 13 March 2013

Kitbash Part 6 - Ka-299 "Hexen" Assault Transport

Back in August last year I started work on a kitbash of a Revell 1/72 Ka-29 "Helix" helicopter kit, to turn it into a squad-lifter/dropship for my NKDF 15mm forces. I've now finished and am pretty pleased with the results.

Lots and lots of MicroSol and MicroSet were used to get the transfers to conform over the rivets - especially on the  rudders.

The actual finish is a good deal duller than the photos suggest - I'm still not getting the best from my lightbox.

Decals are a mixture of the ones from the kit, Fighting Piranha and 1/100 Gundam Detailing sets 

The donor kit, the Ka-29, is an assault transport with capacity for 13, which makes it ideal for a medium sized 15mm ship.

The nozzle on the rear of the tail boom is on gimbals and rotates to provide directional control whilst hovering. 

Side mounted lift engines 

Underside view showing lift engines and bombardment turret

Weathering on the nose and intakes works particularly well, I think.

The original kit was a Revell 1/72 Ka-29 "Marine". The side mounted lift engines were from Micropanzer/Combat Wombat and, I think, are now OOP - which is a shame. The large podded engines are from a Revell Easykit A-10 and the Radome that covers the rotor hole is from an Easykit AH-64D Apache Longbow. The bombardment cannon is an Old Crow twin autocannon turret.

Edit: A couple of people over at TMP asked for pictures with some 15mm minis for scale:




I've also statted it our for Gruntz:



6 comments:

Jay said...

The finished work is great! The air-intake with screne/filter is super neat. Also, some nice looking troops you've got there, Sir.

Unknown said...

It looks great, bravo on the kitbashing great success!

Barks said...

Outstanding work!

Allison M. said...

It still looks too helicopter-y to me, but you know what they say about opinions. I'd have at least put different fins on the tail, maybe semi-horizontal fins at like a 30-degree angle. Great paint job, anyway.

Eli Arndt said...

You have realized one of my great kitbashing dreams.

Amazing work sir!

-Eli

Gunrunner said...

This is a terrific result- great model!